Home | Contact Us | Careers | News | Search |

DEVELOPMENT> Official Community Plan and Zoning

The City is currently updating the Official Community Plan! Click here for more information.

The Official Community Plan (OCP) provides general policy direction for the community of Quesnel. As a policy document, it sets out a land-use management strategy for Quesnel's growth.

The OCP delineates policy by which Quesnel City Council and the public can evaluate development proposals to ensure manageable and economically beneficial growth.

Development Permit areas and regulations are contained in the Official Community Plan.

Zoning amendments are required to comply with the OCP.

Official Community Plan

Official Community Plan Map - large file

Schedule C - Road Network
Schedule D - Infrastructure
Schedule F1 - Multi-Family
Schedule F2 - Downtown Development
Schedule F3 - West Quesnel
Schedule F4 - Highway Frontage
Schedule F5 - Residential-Commercial Transition
Schedule F6 - Water Corridor
Schedule F7 - South Quesnel Highway Commercial

Development Permit Area Map (schedule F8)

The Consolidated Zoning Bylaw controls the use of land in your community. It states exactly:

  • How land may be used.
  • Where buildings and other structures can be located.
  • The types of buildings that are permitted and how they may be used.
  • The lot sizes and dimensions, parking requirements, building heights and setbacks from the street.

The Zoning Bylaw also provides regulatory instruments for other items such as fencing, parking, and mandatory setbacks from streams and water bodies.

Zoning bylaws put the plan into effect and provide for its day-to-day administration. They contain specific requirements that are legally enforceable. Construction or new development that doesn't comply with a zoning bylaw is not allowed; the municipality will refuse to issue a building permit.

Zoning Bylaw Map - large file
Zoning Bylaw Map - 11x17

If you want to use or develop your property in a way that is not allowed by the zoning bylaw, you may apply for a zoning change, also known as a zoning bylaw amendment or rezoning. But Council can consider a change only if the new use is allowed by the OCP.

Some other options exist for minor variances for development that do not meet certain zoning requirements (such as siting and size). Regulations for use, density and maximum lot coverage however, can not be ‘varied’ through a variance permit. You are encouraged to contact the department to discuss the available options and requirements prior to submitting a variance permit or zoning amendment application.

Development Variance Permit and Checklist

Rezone Application and Checklist

Small Normal Large view Extra Large

Quick Links

About Quesnel
Activity Guide
Bid Opportunities
Business Licences
Economic Development
Emergency Notifications
Garbage Collection Schedule
our Quesnel
Property Taxes